Girls Club Appeal
- Questions & Activities
- Clip Details
- Print All
An appeal for Scottish Girls' clubs highlighting the various activities offered. Includes shots of Loch Lomond, Glasgow streets, the club entrance, a cookery class, dressmaking class, drama class, first aid, kilt making, baby care classes, keep fit and Scottish country dancing.
Questions & Activities
- What does the narrator mean when he says it helps "the girls develop their natural talents"?
- If there was a girls' club what kind of things would you like to learn?
- What different activities were the girls doing in the clip - how many of them do you do?
- What do you think being a good citizen meant for girls?
- What are the charity appeals today - what types of charity?
- Show of hands for how many donated to Comic Relief/Children in Need - if it was a charity for the Girl Guides would you donate to it?
- Is this film set before or early in World War II and what clues make you think this?
- Why do the women have to go away?
- What expectation is there for these girls?
- What careers do you think were open to girls at that time?
Social History / Health and Wellbeing: Contrast the Girls Club to Girls Brigade, Guides, Scouts today and present your findings.
Social History / Modern Studies: Research how charity appeals are filmed and investigate how this differs to today.
Social Studies: Put together your own charity appeal (e.g. lunchtime club).
Social History / Maths: Research how many women were in employment in the 1940s/1950s compared with today - present your findings in a graph.
Social Studies: Discussion activity about career aspirations.
English: Creative writing - imagine one of these girls is transported to modern day Scotland - how would they feel, act? If you were transported back to 1939 how would feel and act?
Social History: Research topic - speak to grandparents about their experiences of clubs. Investigate the rights of the child.
|Resource Rights Holder||National Library of Scotland|
|Genre||Promotional Film, Charity|
|School Subject||Health and Wellbeing, History, Mathematics, English, Social Studies|
|Where||Glasgow, Glasgow, Loch Lomond|
|Attributes||Black and White, Sound|
|References||Girl Guides, Scouts, Girls/Boys Brigade.|