Warwork News No. 19, The Other Man's Job
Public information film for Warwork News
- Questions & Activities
- Clip Details
- Print All
One of a series of films for Warwork News, this film shows locomotives being built for "the second front" at the North British Locomotive Company, Springburn, Glasgow. The clip shows the interior of the factory and shows lightweight locomotives under construction for use on the railway network in Europr. The clip also highlights the work of a visiting Chinese engineer helping with the Allied war effort. Other workers include women and older men.
Questions & Activities
- What does austerity mean?
- Do you think these locomotives would have been as safe as the heavier trains?
- Why would they be needed during the invasion of Europe?
- How many different types and races of people can you spot in this film?
- What is unusual about the workers you see?
- How are the women workers referred to in this film? What jobs are they doing?
- Do you think the Chinese Engineer felt appreciated by the British people?
Investigate how war drove scientific and technological innovation. Find out what products that we take for granted today were developed during the Second World War.
Visit the Riverside Museum in Glasgow to see a locomotive like this.
Prepare a chronology of the history of railways and their importance to the economy as a means of transport. Why were the railways so important to the war effort?
Compare austerity design with ethical and eco design today. What are the defining features of each movement, the similarities and differences.
Research how many people from other countries served in the British armed forces during the Second World War or supported the war effort like this Chinese engineer.
|Resource Rights Holder
|National Library of Scotland
|Documentary, Public Information, Propaganda
|Science, Technologies, History, Social History
|Railways, World War 2, Community involvement, Citizenship, International Education
|Ministry of Supply (sponsor), Paramount (production company)
|World War II
|Black and White, Sound