Jogging in the Seventies
News insert from 1973 about a new sporting craze
- Questions & Activities
- Clip Details
- Print All
A report on the new craze of jogging that has just hit Scotland. The film features interviews with various people of different ages to see their reactions to this new form of fitness.
Questions & Activities
- Before watching film discuss when you think the sport of jogging was invented?
- When do you think this film was made?
- Do you think jogging can be classified as a sport?
- What is the difference between a sport and a pastime or leisure activity?
- How does the sports kit compare to modern day kit?
- Where are running shoes made today? What can you find out about how sports kits are manufactured and the working conditions of the people who make them?
- Why did the filmmaker tell us all about the people at the start of the film? Discuss shots and point of view.
- Discuss the line "her family is her hobby".
- How many cameras do you think were used to film this extract?
- How effective is this interview?
- How would a modern interview using one camera be shot?
- How effective is this clip at encouraging you to take up jogging?
- How do new sports spread?
- How do the runners arrive at the running track?
Numeracy: Prepare a class survey on children's favourite sports in the school.
Health and Wellbeing: Find out all the sports that are included in the Olympics or Commonwealth Games.
Health and Wellbeing: Research a recently emerged sport and prepare a presentation on rules and styles.
Social Studies / History: Research how the Olympics has changed from the Ancient Greeks to today?
Expressive Arts / Art and Design / Health and Wellbeing: Design a jogging kit.
Technologies / Health and Wellbeing / Citizenship / Enterprise: Research the development and technology of running shoes. If you were designing new running shoes how would you manufacture them for the mass market?
Health and Wellbeing: Develop a progressive training plan for someone beginning jogging. Investigate how exercise affects the heart.
Geography: In the clip it is suggested that jogging originated in New Zealand - investigate how the government in New Zealand invests in a programme of health promotion from birth
|Resource Rights Holder||Courtesy of Scottish Television|
|School Subject||Health and Wellbeing, Geography, Art and Design, Expressive Arts, Social Studies, History, Gender Studies|
|Subject Matter||Citizenship, Sports|
|Who||Scottish Television (producer)|
|Where||Bearsden, Clydebank, Glasgow, Running Track, Sports Stadium, Uddingston|
|References||Jump Britain, Jump London, Parcours, Chariots of Fire|