Gourock Ropeworks New Lanark (clip 1)
Rope making processes at New Lanark
- Questions & Activities
- Clip Details
- Print All
Footage of work inside the Gourock Ropework Co. Ltd based at the New Lanark mills.
Includes both interior and exterior shots of the Gourock Ropework buildings/factories at New Lanark. The ropemaking processes in the factory are shown with female workers overseeing the work. Shots of the fibres being aligned; spinning threads; threads being wound onto bobbins.
Questions & Activities
- Why is New Lanark famous?
- Why is New Lanark a World Heritage site?
- What raw materials are shown in the film?
- How is rope and string made?
- What uses can you think of for rope?
- What other textiles is Scotland famous for producing?
- Why was it particularly linked to Scotland?
- What are the women doing?
- Why are belts shown in the configuration they are? What were the principals on which New Lanark was founded?
- What is the significance of the river shown in the film and the location of New Lanark?
Media Studies: Discuss how effective this film is in explaining how an industrial process works. (Perhaps compare with 0067 The Samson Stripper).
Media Studies: Add an explanatory voiceover to the film. Create the sound effects that you think the machines might make.
Technologies / Art and Design: Design your own machine incorporating some of the types of movement that you can see in the film.
English / Music: Write a working song or nursery rhyme to talk about the bobbins and weaving process. What songs do you know already. You could use the nursery rhyme 'Wind the Bobbin Up'.
History: Research the history of New Lanark and why it declined soon after this film was made?
Research lives in New Lanark today and if possible, visit New Lanark.
|Resource Rights Holder||National Library of Scotland|
|School Subject||Social History, Media Studies, History, Technologies, English, Music|
|Subject Matter||Textiles, Business, Enterprise|
|Who||Templar Film Studies (production company)|
|Where||Gourock, New Lanark|
|Attributes||Black and White, Silent|