Fergie! (clip 2)
Biographical documentary about football manager, Sir Alex Ferguson
- Questions & Activities
- Clip Details
- Print All
Second clip from a documentary showcasing the career of Sir Alex Ferguson who later went on to become manager of Manchester United FC.
Fergie describes how he decided to become manager of Pittodrie with his first season being terrible and how he started to make changes. Willy Miller talks about how Fergie reacted quite violently when they had a few run-ins at half time but how they had come to understand each other. Fergie is described as a good motivoter and but considers he may be seen as a 'pure bandit' - he is unconcerned about this.
Fergie talks about training the young players and how he can provide good discipline, encourage amibition and foster hope. Gordon Strachan describes how he likes the style of Fergie and the good habits he has learned from him. Discussion about how the media can affect the players with discipline being a key principal to keep 'their feet on the ground'.
Questions & Activities
- Why is Sir Alex described as a good manager?
- What do you think would be the qualities of a good manager?
- What impression do the players give of Alex Ferguson's character?
- What qualitities do the youth training teams encourage?
- Why does the media and success change the footballers?
- To what extent do you think that the qualities referred to in this film have helped Alex Ferguson's career to date?
- Ferguson is described as reacting 'violently' when his team are losing. Discuss the pros and cons of this type of behaviour and whether it is approporiate today.
Sport / English: Research the life and career of Alex Ferguson since this film was made. What do you think the players would say about him now?
Moving Image Education: Make an updated biographic documentary film using photographs and film clips (if possible).
Sport: Research the history of Aberdeen Football Club.
Social Studies: Research the history of Scottish Football.
Media Studies: Research a famous footballer. How are they portrayed in the media and what other products do they advertise. Consider the culture of the celebrity and how footballers now play a prominent part in this culture.
|Resource Rights Holder||Courtesy of Scottish Television|
|School Subject||Physical Education, Health and Wellbeing, English, Social Studies, Media Studies|
|Who||Grampian Television (production company), John W. Doran (director), John W. Doran (producer)|