Lyceum Cinema Ads - Happy New Year 1956
- Questions & Activities
- Clip Details
- Print All
This advertisement is from a compilation of film trailers and advertisements shown at the Lyceum Cinema, Dumfries with special emphasis on Christmas 1955 and New Year. This stock clip edited onto the front of the film features a Hollywood-style cinema advert wishing customers a Happy New Year for 1956 with Old Father Time and the "infant" 1956.
Questions & Activities
- Who is father time?
- What were the levels of cinema attendance in Scotland in 1956, what are they today?
- How many people had televisions in 1956?
- What techniques are used to create an upbeat tone (e.g. music, editing, voice-over)?
- Could this film have been shown 15 years previously?
- This advert was shown at the Lyceum Cinema, Dumfries. Have you seen any similar trailers at your local cinema?
Media Studies/PSD: Make a 'trailer' for the next year in the calendar - reflecting events this year and expectations for next year?
Media Studies: Do you notice any American influences on this trailer? How has American culture influenced British culture?
Media Studies: This film is made out of 'stock footage' - what is stock footage? There are lots of sources of this on the internet (e.g. archive.org, creative archive). Find footage to make your own creative films. What are the copyright implications of this?
|Resource Rights Holder||National Library of Scotland|
|School Subject||Social History, Media Studies|
|Who||Lyceum Cinema (sponsor)|
|Attributes||Black and White, Sound|